Japanese Chicken Salad
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4-- boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2tablespoons flax seed meal or all purpose flour
- 2-- eggs, beaten
- 2cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/4cup brown sugar
- 1/4cup ketchup
- 1/4cup lite soy sauce
- 1tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/4teaspoon Oriental 5 spice powder
- 2tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2cups bagged broccoli cole slaw mix
- 1/4cup peanut or vegetable oil
- 1/2-- (10 oz) bag mixed salad greens
- 1cup orange segments
- 2-- green onions, chopped
Flatten chicken to even thickness, if necessary. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flax seed meal or flour. Dip in egg and coat on both sides with panko. Dip chicken again in egg and coat again with panko. Place breaded chicken on a rack, cover and chill at least 30 minutes.
Meanwhile prepare sauce. In saucepan, over medium heat, stir brown sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, yellow mustard and 5 spice until sugar is melted and sauce just comes to a simmer. Reserve 1 tablespoon of sauce; transfer remaining sauce to a serving bowl.
Whisk reserved sauce with rice vinegar and mayonnaise; toss with broccoli slaw and set aside.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer chicken to a cutting surface. Slice into 4 to 6 pieces.
Arrange salad greens, slaw and oranges on serving plate. Top with sliced chicken. Drizzle with sauce. Sprinkle with green onions. Serves 4.