- Yield: 8 servings
"My family insists that I serve this with a standing rib roast. One of our sons doesn't like tomatoes, so I make a tiny casserole for him using all of the other ingredients - except the tomatoes - and sprinkle grated cheese on top."
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 2large tomatoes, cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2cup dry Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2cup chopped green onions (white and green parts)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 1/4cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 to 3 dashes hot pepper sauce
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish.
- Cook spinach according to package directions. Drain well in a colander, pressing with paper towels to remove most of the liquid.
- Arrange tomato slices in a single layer in prepared pan. Combine bread crumbs, green onions, eggs, butter, Parmesan, garlic, salt, thyme and hot sauce in a medium bowl. Add spinach; mix well.
- Spoon equal amounts of the spinach mixture on top of each tomato slice. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes.
Recipe by Martha Wolf, Brighton, Mich.