Fresh Tomato Tart
- Yield 10 servings
"This recipe came from a sweet young teacher married to an Air Force pilot and good friend of our son-in-law and our youngest daughter, Nicole. It is always a hit."
- 1 (9-inch) pie crust
- 6 fresh medium-size tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 5/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bake pie crust about 15 minutes.
- Saute onion and mushrooms in one tablespoon of butter until onions are translucent. Set aside.
- Mix together cheeses, mayonaise, garlic and basil. Stir in cooled mushrooms and onions.
- Place tomatoes into pie crust, with the skin down. Spoon cheese mixture evenly over tomatoes.
- Sprinkle parsley and pepper on top. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until brown and bubbly.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: This dish is good served hot or cold.
—Kay McMahan, Rockport, Texas