Roasted Tomato Soup
- Yield: 6 servings
- 3pounds vine-ripe tomatoes, quartered or whole cocktail tomatoes
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 2tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1teaspoon sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1quart reduced sodium, fat-free, organic chicken broth
- 1/2cup fat-free half and half
- 1tablespoon fresh chopped parsley or basil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cover baking sheet with foil and place rack over baking sheet. Place tomatoes, onion, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in large bowl and toss to coat with oil. Spread tomatoes and onions on baking sheet in single layer.
- Heat chicken broth to a boil in large soup pot. Scrape tomato mixture into broth and simmer 10 minutes.
- Purée soup in blender or food processor in small batches; add back to soup pot. Add fat-free half and half, adjust seasonings and add chopped parsley or basil.
Courtesy of Paulette Lambert, RD, of the California Health & Longevity Institute