Tomato Sauce for Spaghetti
- Yield 6 servings
Once you make this rich tomato sauce you will see how ridiculously easy it is and you’ll have the pride of ownership that comes with homemade sauce.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -- large onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 2 -- (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes, preferable in puree
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until is starts to turn golden, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes, if using. Add salt and pepper and bring sauce to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently until sauce thickens slightly, about 20 minutes. (The longer the sauce simmers, the richer and more concentrated it will become.) Makes about 7 cups.
Reprinted with permission from Katie Workman's The Mom 100 Cookbook (Workman Publishing, 2012).