Tomato Sauce and Garlic Toast
- Yield: 20 servings
Spoon this tomato sauce onto garlic toast, and serve some ripe red Italian olives on the side.
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained well
- 2tablespoons chopped onions
- 1tablespoon capers
- 1tablespoon teriyaki sauce
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 2tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (24-ounce) loaf French or Italian bread
- 1/4cup melted butter
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 4cloves garlic, minced
- 1teaspoon dried basil
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- Mix tomatoes, onions, capers, teriyaki, olive oil, basil, salt and pepper in the order given. Adjust seasonings to suit your taste. Allow mixture to stand overnight in the refrigerator, but serve at room temperature.
- To prepare the garlic toast, preheat oven to 400F. Slice bread into about 20 pieces and place on cookie sheet. Toast 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden. Combine butter, olive oil, garlic, basil and oregano. Brush butter mixture on each piece of toast. Return to oven and bake about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool before serving with tomato sauce. Makes 20 appetizers.
Recipe by W. R. Valentine, Rogers City, Mich.