Tomato Sauce and Garlic Toast
- Yield 20 servings
Spoon this tomato sauce onto garlic toast, and serve some ripe red Italian olives on the side.
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained well
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (24-ounce) loaf French or Italian bread
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Mix tomatoes, onions, capers, teriyaki, olive oil, basil, salt and pepper in the order given. Adjust seasonings to suit your taste. Allow mixture to stand overnight in the refrigerator, but serve at room temperature.
- To prepare the garlic toast, preheat oven to 400F. Slice bread into about 20 pieces and place on cookie sheet. Toast 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden. Combine butter, olive oil, garlic, basil and oregano. Brush butter mixture on each piece of toast. Return to oven and bake about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool before serving with tomato sauce. Makes 20 appetizers.
Recipe by W. R. Valentine, Rogers City, Mich.