Tomato Sandwiches with Egg Salad and Cucumber
- Yield 2 servings
Here’s a version of the egg salad and cucumber sandwiches, which were popular at Sutter’s bakery in Greenwich Village.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 pinch ground red pepper
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced green onion
- 4 slices whole-grain, rye or white bread
- 18 paper-thin slices cucumber
- 4 (1/4-inch) vertical slices tomato, about
- Combine mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add onion and mayonnaise mixture to eggs, folding with a rubber spatula.
- Spread egg salad on 2 pieces of bread. Arrange cucumber and tomato on top. Cover with remaining bread and cut diagonally into halves. Makes 2 sandwiches.
Recipe by Jean Kressy