- Yield: 8 servings
- 1/2pound (2 sticks) butter
- 2cups yellow onions, diced
- 1cup all-purpose flour
- 8cups ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Salt and black pepper
- 4cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2cups heavy cream
- 3cups green onions, chopped
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onions and sauté until tender. Add the flour and cook the roux that forms for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes and season with salt and black pepper. Once the tomatoes begin to soften and release their juices after about 5 minutes, add the crushed tomatoes, thyme, and cayenne, and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes, add the cream, bring the mixture back to a simmer, and remove from the heat. Stir in the green onions.
- Serve over biscuits, grits, eggs, or anything else that needs a kiss of tomato.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Chris Chamberlain’s The Southern Foodie: 100 Places to Eat in the South (Thomas Nelson, 2012)