- Yield: 6 servings
"This is an old recipe of my mother's that I serve on special occasions such as Thanksgiving."
- 5tablespoons butter, divided, plus extra for dotting on top
- 1medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 2 1/2cups drained stewed tomatoes
- 4tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1cup milk
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 6 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 1cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 sleeve (1/4-pound) Ritz crackers crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in skillet, add onions and pepper, and saute until soft. Remove from heat and add tomatoes.
- Make a white sauce by melting 4 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add milk, whisking until smooth. Add salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Place half the sliced eggs in bottom of 13-by-9-inch dish. Spoon half the tomato mixture over eggs. Cover with half the white sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with cheese and cracker crumbs. Dot with butter.
- Bake 30 minutes or until well browned.
Recipe by Mrs. Ivor Stephenson, Winnsboro, S.C.