- Yield 6 servings
Prepare the tomato topping early in the day and pull it out of the refrigerator an hour before company comes.
Place a spoonful of the tomatoes on toasted bread rounds or simply set out a bowl of it and allow guests to scoop out their own topping.
- 2 ripe vine tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Baguette slices, toasted
- Combine the tomatoes, garlic, onions, basil, olive oil, balsamic and red wine vinegars, oregano, salt and pepper in a nonreactive large bowl. Mix well and allow to sit at room temperature 15 minutes for the flavors to marry.