Tomato and Watermelon Salad
- Yield 6 servings
A cool salad for warm summer day.
- 5 cups bite-size chunks of ripe watermelon
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cut into bite-size chunks (the same size as the watermelon pieces)
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small red onion, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl toss the melon and tomatoes in the sugar and salt. Let sit for 15 minutes. Fold in the onion, vinegar, and oil. Serve very cold after chilling at least 4 hours in the refrigerator.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Chris Chamberlain’s The Southern Foodie: 100 Places to Eat in the South (Thomas Nelson, 2012)