Tomato and Cucumber Bread Salad
- Yield 6 servings
Use Italian flat-leaf parsley in this tomato salad for the best flavor.
- 1/4 unsliced loaf crusty bread
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 6 small cucumbers, peeled and chopped
- 3 Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- To prepare the bread: Cut the bread into 1/2-inch cubes. Saute in 3 tablespoons olive oil, sea salt and pepper in a heated large skillet over medium heat until crisp and golden brown on all sides.
- To prepare the salad: Combine the cucumbers, tomatoes and onion in a bowl. Add the vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, parsley, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and mix well.
- Chill, covered, for 30 minutes. Add the bread cubes at serving time and toss to coat well.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Waterloo-Cedar Falls, Iowa, First Impressions, Dining with Distinction (the Junior League of Waterloo-Cedar Falls, Iowa, Inc., 2001).