Tomato and Basil Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3/4cup raw jasmine or basmati rice
- 1 1/2cups water or vegetable broth
- pinch salt
- 4medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1stalk lemon grass, minced (use the bottom 3-inches of the stalk only)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1large tomato, chopped
- 1cup scooped, reserved zucchini pulp, chopped
- 8 leaves fresh basil, minced
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- Place rice and water or broth in a medium saucepan with salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes until rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
- Scoop out the seeds and pulp of zucchini halves, leaving a thick shell with a cavity in each; reserve seeds and pulp for stuffing.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonreactive skillet over medium heat. Saute onions, garlic, lemon grass and jalapeno peppers 2 minutes until tender. Add tomatoes and chopped zucchini pulp; continue to saute 1 minute longer.
- Add basil and cooked rice. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well and use to fill each zucchini cavity. Filling should be mounded about 3/4 inch above zucchini rim. Place zucchini next to each other in a baking dish with a small space between. Drizzle with olive oil, cover loosely with foil and bake 35 minutes until filling is heated through and zucchini is tender.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 232
- Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 71mg
- Carbohydrate 45g
- Fiber 4g
- Protein 6g