Tomato and Artichoke Bruschetta
- Yield 10 servings
Fresh tomatoes and jarred artichoke hearts come together for this quick-and-easy appetizer.
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 small red onion, minced
- 1 (12-ounce) jar artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 large loaf French or Italian bread, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- Olive oil, for drizzling or spraying
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian dried herb mixture
- Kosher salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- To make topping: In a large nonreactive bowl, combine the tomatoes, garlic, onions, artichokes, basil, salt, pepper, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. It is best if you make the mixture and allow the flavors to marry for at least 1 hour before serving. Makes 3 1/2 cups.
- To make the crostini: Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place the bread slices on a baking pan in a single layer. Spray or drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with cheese, Italian herbs, salt and pepper. Bake 5 to 6 minutes until just golden. Spoon topping over crispy crostini.