Tom Valenti's Fettucine with Asparagus, Parmesan and Black Pepper
- Yield: 6 servings
- 12 spears jumbo asparagus (about 1 pound), ends trimmed
- 1/4teaspoon coarse salt
- 6ounces fettuccine
- 1/2cup water
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1small garlic clove, minced
- 2tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1tablespoon minced fresh chives
- Trim the tips off asparagus spears and set aside for another use. Using a vegetable peeler, thinly shave the asparagus lengthwise into wide ribbons. Set the asparagus aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add salt and fettuccine, return water to a boil and cook until al dente, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/2 cup of water in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add butter; when melted, add lemon juice and garlic.
- Drain fettuccine and add it to the pan with butter-lemon mixture; add asparagus ribbons, Parmesan cheese, black pepper and lemon zest. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the chives and stir again. Divide fettuccine and asparagus among 6 dinner plates or wide, shallow bowls and serve.