Toini's Easy Fruitcake
- Yield: 20 servings
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1.25 hours
Easy Fruitcake with no citron
- 1pound California Raisins
- 1cup California Golden Raisins
- 1 1/2cups sugar
- 1 3/4cups water
- 1/4cup butter
- 2medium eggs, beaten, room temperature
- 2 1/2cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1cup pecan, coarsely chopped
- 2 (10-ounce) jars Maraschino cherries, drained
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a Bundt pan, tube pan or 2 9 x 5-inch loaf pans. Line bottoms of pans with waxed paper and grease paper as well.
- Combine dark raisins, golden raisins, sugar and water in large saucepan or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add 1/4 cup butter. Set aside to cool. When raisin mixture is cool, add eggs.
- Mix together dry ingredients. Add to the raisin mixture, mixing with a wooden spoon.
- Add walnuts and raisins, maraschino cherries that are pit free, and mix well with wooden spoon.
- Spoon batter into pan. Bake 1 1/4 hours or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean.
- Let cool 10 minutes in pan, on cooling rack. Loosen cake with sharp knife from sides of pan before turning out on a cooling rack. Remove waxed paper . Let cool completely
- When cool, place in large gallon sized plastic bags and refrigerate. May be served the same day, but best if left to age a few days.
- Slice and serve plain or buttered like you would banana bread.