Tofu Nicoise Salad
- Yield 4 servings
Try substituting marinated grilled tofu for the tradition tuna in this classic salad.
- Lemon Dressing:
- 1/4 cup good quality extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 pound firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Salt, to taste
- 3/4 pound fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 3 cups bite-size pieces salad greens or field greens
- 1 medium tomato, cut into wedges
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced or cut into wedges
- 1 cup cooked dried chickpeas or drained and rinsed canned chickpeas
- 1 small red onion, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rings
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons drained and rinsed capers
- To make dressing: Combine all ingredients in a nonreactive container and whisk to combine.
- To make salad: Lay tofu slices in a single layer in a nonreactive dish. Coat with 2 tablespoons dressing and let marinate 1 hour. Preheat a charcoal or gas grill or oven broiler element. Grill marinated tofu 3 minutes on each side or broil 2 inches from heating element 5 minutes per side. Set aside to cool. Cut into fingers or bite-size squares.
- Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to boil over high heat. Add green beans and boil 3 minutes or until bright green yet still crisp. Drain and rinse under cold water. Place lettuce on a serving platter. Arrange all ingredients decoratively over the greens and drizzle with remaining dressing.