- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 65 mins
This vegetarian stew is full of the hearty, satisfying flavors of the French countryside.
Serve in a bowl around a mound of mashed potatoes, it's savory and pleasing. Mushroom stock is available in a 1-quart aseptic box.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 cup button mushrooms, cut into halves
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, cut into halves and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 cups hearty dry red wine
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable stock, divided (preferably mushroom)
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato paste
- 4 ounces baby carrots
- 4 ounces peeled pearl onions
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, cut in thick slices
- 3 (6-ounce) packages baked flavored tofu, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- Heat a large, heavy soup pot. Add olive oil and butter. Add chopped onion and cook 4 to 5 minutes. Add celery, button mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms and garlic and saute 1 minute. Cover and steam 2 minutes.
- Combine wine, 2 cups stock and tomato paste. Add to soup pot, scraping bottom to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil, add carrots and pearl onions, and boil 1 minute. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, partially covered, 20 minutes. Add Portobella mushrooms and cook 5 to 10 minutes or until carrots and onions are tender. Add tofu.
- In a small cup, whisk reserved stock and cornstarch to make a paste.
- Bring mixture back to a hard boil and stir in stock-cornstarch mixture. Cover and simmer 30 to 45 minutes. Sauce will thicken slightly. Add salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon.