Lightened-Up Eggplant Parmesan
- Yield 8 servings
Use your favorite marinara sauce to make this new unfried-version of a classic dish.
- 3 medium eggplants, peeled, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices (about 6 slices per eggplant)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb mix
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- 1 cup shredded parmesan or Asiago cheese
- 5 cups favorite marinara sauce
- 8 -- fresh basil leaves, whole
- -- Nonstick cooking spray
- Place eggplant slices on a large pan or platter, rub with olive oil, then garlic, Italian herbs, salt and pepper. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat a large nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat. Spray pan with oil and sauté eggplant slices until lightly brown on both sides.
- Spoon 1/2 cup marinara into a 13 x 9-inch casserole dish. Top with about 6 eggplant slices, 6 cheese slices and a few basil leaves. Top with 1 1/2 cups sauce and repeat layering, ending with sauce and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes until surface is golden brown.