Toasted Walnut and Sun-Dried Tomato Dip
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 5 mins
This tomato-based dish does triple duty as a dip, spread and pasta sauce.
You'll want to have this versatile dip on hand all summer. It's great served with pita chips, baby carrots or thickly sliced cucumber rounds, as a sandwich spread or tossed with warm pasta.
- Boiling water
- 3 ounces sun-dried tomatoes (1½ cups), not oil-packed
- 1 1/2 cups walnut pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pour boiling water over tomatoes in a medium bowl to 1-inch depth; let soak 1 hour.
- Toast walnuts in a dry nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and aromatic, about 5 minutes. Pour into food processor.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving soaking liquid; place tomatoes and 1⁄2 cup soaking liquid in food processor.
- Add remaining ingredients; pulse a few times, then process until fairly smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl, cover, and refrigerate up to 3 days; return to room temperature before serving.
Recipe by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough.