Toasted Walnut and Chocolate Tart
- Yield 12 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 15 mins
- 3 cups California walnuts, toasted
- 12 -- halves California walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup simple syrup, divided use (in a small covered saucepan, simmer ¼ cup sugar and ¼ cup water for 4 minutes to dissolve crystals)
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 12 ounces dark Belgian chocolate
- 1-1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- -- Zest of 2 large oranges, to candy for garnish
Toast walnuts in a 350F oven for 5 to 10 minutes. In a food processor coarsely chop 3 cups walnuts for crust. Place chopped walnuts in a bowl, add 2 tbsp. of the simple syrup and the melted butter, mix well. Place mixture in a 10” fluted tart pan with removable bottom and press into pan with your fingers to form a crust. Put pan in freezer to firm while you complete the next step (about 10 minutes).
Use a knife to break chocolate into small shards. In a medium saucepan bring cream to a boil, add chocolate and remove from heat. Stir until smooth. Stir in Grand Marnier. Pour mixture into chilled tart mold and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
In a small nonstick sauté pan, combine the remaining 2 tbsp. simple syrup and the orange zest. Cook over medium heat until most of the water has evaporated and the zest is translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from pan and cool.
Keep chilled until ready to serve. Remove tart from pan. To slice, use a knife dipped in hot water and wiped with a towel. Garnish slices with powdered sugar-dusted walnut halves and candied orange zest.