Toasted Hazelnut Biscotti
- Yield 48 servings
A light and tasty biscotti.
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 -- eggs
- 2 -- egg whites
- 2 teaspoons crushed or ground anise seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350F. Sift the unbleached flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt together. Mix in the hazelnuts. Cream the butter, sugar and honey in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and egg whites, anise seeds, vanilla, orange zest and lemon zest. Add the hazelnut mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 3 long rolls, 1 inch in diameter, on a greased nonstick baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes and cool slightly. Cut each log diagonally into 16 slices. Arrange the slices on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Turn the slices over and bake for 10 minutes longer.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Cal-a-Vie Living: Gourmet Spa Cuisine (Cal-a-Vie, The Spa Havens, 2007).