Tillie’s Pumpkin Bread
- Yield 30 servings
Try a little pumpkin bread for breakfast or dessert this fall
'Back in the 1960s, I become hostess for our family Thanksgiving dinners. This recipe has been a mainstay. I'm now 77 and baked 36 small loaves for gifts this year.'
- 1 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups solid-pack pumpkin
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease three 9-by-5-inch loaf pans.
- Beat olive oil, sugar, eggs and pumpkin together with an electric mixer.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt, soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Add to sugar mixture a little at a time, beating on slow speed. Stir in nuts if using.
- Fill pans 1/2 full. Bake 1 hour.
Note: If you prefer to make cupcakes, pour batter into muffin tins and bake 55 minutes. Serves 30.
—Tillie B. Vaughan, Victorville, CA