Tillie’s Cheese Potatoes
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
"My mother-in-law used to bring our family dinner once a week in the 1970s when our children were growing up and we were both working. I loved the reprieve from cooking. This recipe of hers is still the family's favorite."
- 6 large russet potatoes
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- 2 large onions
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups cold milk
- 1 pound Velveeta cheese, cubed
- Salt and pepper
- Boil potatoes until easily pierced with a fork. Cool and peel. Cut into bite-size chunks.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions; cook until translucent.
- Sprinkle flour over onions and stir until butter is absorbed. Do not brown. Add cold milk, stirring briskly with a whisk so flour does not lump. Add cheese and continue stirring until all cheese is melted and sauce has thickened.
- Add potatoes and stir well. Spoon into a 13-by-9-inch casserole dish. Bake 30 minutes.
Recipe by Tillie B. Vaughan, Victorville, Calif.