Thyme Angel Food Cake
- Yield 12 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 35 mins
This herb-flavored Angel Food Cake cries out for a scoop of strawberry ice cream.
Herbs in a dessert? Here's a thyme-enhanced angel food cake that cries out for a scoop of strawberry ice cream on a summer evening. Whip up some homemade ice cream with the reserved egg yolks.
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 10 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons stemmed thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Sift flour and powdered sugar together.
- Beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Beat in lemon juice, then beat in granulated sugar in 2-tablespoon increments, allowing each to become incorporated before adding the next. Beat in thyme and lemon rind.
- Fold flour mixture into egg white mixture with a rubber spatula. Spoon batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake 35 minutes or until cake is lightly browned and springy to the touch. Invert pan; cool completely. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula. Transfer cake to a serving plate.