- Yield: 2 to 3 dozen
- 1-- (4-ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1-- (10-ounce) package pie crust mix
- 2tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 4 to 5tablespoons cold water
- -- Colored sprinkles
- 6tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1-- egg white
- dash salt
- 1-- (1-pound) package confectioners' sugar
- -- Food coloring (optional)
- -- Milk
- Stir the pudding mix and pie crust mix in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons butter and 4 tablespoons of the water. Stir with a fork until the mixture forms a soft dough, adding the additional tablespoon of water if the dough is too dry. Shape into 1-inch balls. Roll in sprinkles. Place 1-inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Make a deep indentation in each cooke with your thumb. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes or until light brown. Cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Beat 6 tablespoons butter, the egg white, salt and confectioners' sugar in a bowl until smooth. Stir in enough food color until of desired tint. Thin with milk, if desired. Spoon into a decorator tube and pipe into the indentation on the cooled cookies. If you are concerned about using raw egg white, use an egg white from an egg pasteurized in its shell, or use an equivalent amount of meringue powder and follow the package directions.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Heritage Hall’s To Learn, to Lead…To Serve(Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 2008).