- Yield 6 servings
Make this soup in winter when you're craving the taste of good tomatoes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 leek, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 (14-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion, celery and leek and sauté until soft, about 8 minutes. Add chicken broth, sun-dried tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and thyme. Bring to a simmer and cook 20 minutes.
- Remove thyme stems; discard. Purée soup in a blender until smooth. Return soup to pan and stir in milk, vinegar and pepper. Cook until thoroughly heated.
Recipe by Chef Jon Ashton.