Three Onion Potato Soup
- Yield 8 cups
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 30 mins
This hearty potato soup can be made ahead and frozen.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 leeks (white part only), sliced
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 4 medium-size russet potatoes, or about 3 large, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups chicken stock (enough to cover the potatoes)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup grated white Cheddar or Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup cooking sherry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a large saucepan and sauté leeks and onions. Add potatoes and stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add milk. Purée or mash potatoes to desired consistency. Add cheese, sherry, salt and pepper.
Recipe courtesy of the United States Potato Board