Three-Cheese Vidalia Onion Tarts
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 Vidalia onion, diced
- 4ounces goat cheese or herb-flavored cream cheese
- 1/4cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/8teaspoon each: dried basil, oregano and pepper
- 4sheets phyllo dough
- 2 to 4tablespoons melted butter
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and diced
- Grated parmesan cheese
- In skillet, melt butter and sauté Vidalia onion over medium-heat until softened and translucent; set aside.
- In medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, basil, oregano and pepper; reserve.
- Stack phyllo dough; cut into 4 strips lengthwise and 4 squares crosswise, making 16 squares. Brush 16 mini muffin cups with butter. Place 1 square of phyllo in each cup, pressing into bottom of pan, allowing edges to overhang; brush bottom and edges with butter. Bake at 375F for 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown; remove from pan. Divide cheese filling evenly among warm phyllo cups; top with reserved Vidalia Onions and tomato. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.
Recipe courtesy of the Vidalia Onion Committee