Three Cheese Asparagus Gratin
- Yield 6 servings
Gouda, Muenster and Asiago cheeses unite to form the perfect union in this asparagus dish.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds (approximately) asparagus, washed and tough ends removed
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup (4-ounces) Wisconsin Gouda (plain or smoked) cheese, shredded
- 1 cup (4-ounces) Wisconsin Muenster cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarse breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup (2-ounces) grated Wisconsin Asiago cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F. Grease a 9 x 9-inch glass baking dish with 1 tablespoon of butter. Arrange the asparagus in the baking dish.
- Gently simmer milk over medium heat. Stir in the cornstarch mixture to thicken slightly. Add the Gouda and Muenster cheeses and whisk in until smooth and creamy; season with the salt. Pour the cheese sauce over the asparagus.
- Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Toss with the breadcrumbs, Asiago and pepper. Sprinkle over the asparagus mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned.
Recipe courtesy of the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board