- Yield 10 servings
A fabulous vegetarian soup that's super low fat.
- 1 cup dried red kidney beans
- 1 cup dried Great Northern beans
- 1 cup dried black beans
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/ cups diced peeled carrots
- 8 cups water
- 2 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Sort and rinse red kidney, Great Northern and black beans; place in a large pot and cover with water. Let soak overnight. Drain and rinse.
- In a large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute onion, green pepper, garlic and carrots over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes, until tender. Add beans, water, tomatoes and green chiles, tomato sauce, oregano, thyme and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and continue cooking 2 hours, or until beans are tender. Remove bay leaf and discard. Season with salt and pepper.