Classic Thousand Island Dressing
- Yield 1 1/2 cups
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 0 mins
Homemade Thousand Island Dressing is an old-fashioned classic.
Various urban legends surround the creation of this perennial salad dressing, and a simplified version of it first appeared in a 1917 cookbook.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chili sauce or ketchup
- 2 tablespoons finely minced pimento stuffed olives
- 1 tablespoon finely minced green pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 chopped hard-cooked egg
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- In a small bowl, blend all the ingredients together.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Arthur Schwartz’s New York City Food (Stewart, Tabori & Chang, 2004, stcbooks.com)