Carrot Cake from the Silver Palate
- Yield: 12 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 50 mins
- 3cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3cups granulated sugar
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1tablespoon baking soda
- 1tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2cups corn oil
- 4large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2cups shelled walnuts, chopped
- 1 1/2cups shredded coconut
- 1 1/3cups pureed cooked carrots
- 3/4cup drained crushed pineapple
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Powdered sugar, for dusting top
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease two 9-inch springform pans.
- Sift flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon into a bowl. Add oil, eggs and vanilla. Beat well. Fold in walnuts, coconut, carrots and pineapple.
- Divide batter between prepared pans and smooth tops with a rubber spatula. Set on the middle rack of the oven and bake until edges have pulled away from sides and a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- Cool 15 minutes, then remove sides of pans and place layers still on pan bottoms on cake racks to cool completely, 3 hours.
- Gently remove layers from pan bottoms and use Cream Cheese Frosting to fill cake and frost the sides. Dust top of cake with powdered’ sugar.
Recipe courtesy of The Silver Palate Cookbook, 25th Anniversary Edition, by Julee Russo and Sheila Lukins (Workman Publishing, 2007.)