The Sailor’s Spinach Dip
- Yield 5 cups
This robust dip will carry you through any occasion whether it be a tailgate or poker night.
To make this dip vegan, substitute vegan ingredients for the vegetable stock, toast points, and rice crackers.
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup white rum, or 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 pound frozen spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- carrot and celery sticks, for serving
- toast points, for serving
- small rice crackers, for serving
- In a dry cast-iron skillet, toss cashews over medium-high heat until fragrant and lightly toasted. Transfer cashews to a bowl and pour in vegetable stock and white rum. Let cashews soak for 1⁄2 hour to soften them for blending, then drain cashews.
- In a food processor, combine spinach, garlic powder, onion powder, lime juice, and vinegar. Pulse for 30 to 40 seconds, then pour in cashews and pulse until well blended. Taste carefully and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with carrot and celery sticks, toast points, and/or rice crackers.
- For a thicker version, bake in 300F oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
From the book The Cheesy Vegan by John Schlimm. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong. Copyright 2013.