The Greenbrier’s Wild Rice Salad
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1cup uncooked wild rice
- 6cups water
- 2large oranges
- 1/4cup dried cherries
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2tablespoons balsamic vinegar, or to taste
- 1 1/2tablespoons fresh orange juice, or to taste
- Hot sauce to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- sprig flat-leaf parsley for garnish
- Rinse the wild rice in cold water in a strainer. Combine with water to cover in a large bowl and let stand for 4 hours; drain.
- Combine the rice with 6 cups water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Cut the peel from the oranges and remove the sections with a knife, catching the juice in a bowl; set the orange sections aside.
- Add the dried cherries to the orange juice in the bowl and let stand for 5 minutes or longer.
- Reserve several orange sections for topping the salad and combine the remaining orange sections with the rice, dried cherries, scallions and parsley in a bowl; mix well.
- Add the olive oil, vinegar, 1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice, hot sauce, salt and pepper and toss to mix well. Top with the reserved orange sections and garnish with parsley leaves.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Roanoke Valley, Virginia, Inc., Oh My Stars! Recipes That Shine (The Junior League of Roanoke, Valley, Virginia, Inc., 2000)