- Yield 4 servings
This amazing hot ham sandwich featuring Swiss and American cheeses is topped with sauteed onions and fresh tomatoes.
- 9 tablespoons butter, at room temperature, divided
- 1 red onion, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices classic white bread
- 8 slices Wisconsin American cheese
- 4 slices Sliced Swiss cheese
- 8 ounces smoked ham, sliced
- 2 large heirloom or beefsteak tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick (8 slices)
- Heat sauté pan over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter; melt and add onion slices. Add a pinch of salt and pepper; cook for 3-5 minutes. Remove to plate; reserve. Butter one side of each bread slice. Heat sauté pan over medium heat. Add 4 bread slices, butter-side down. Layer on each slice of bread: 1 slice American cheese, 1 slice Swiss cheese, 2 ounces ham, about 1 tablespoon sautéed onions, 2 slices tomato, and an additional slice of American cheese. Top sandwiches with remaining 4 slices bread, butter-side up. Sauté sandwiches for 3 minutes: turn carefully, and grill until golden brown and the cheeses are melted.
Recipe courtesy of the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board