- 1 to 1 1/2tablespoon canola oil
- 1cup thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 to 3/4teaspoon Thai yellow curry paste
- 1/4cup water
- 1large red bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2pound broccoli, cut into florets
- 8ounces spinach-cheese tortellini or any tortellini
- 1/2 to 3/4cup canned coconut milk (be sure to shake can before opening and measuring)
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute about 2 minutes or until translucent. Add curry paste and stir until evenly distributed. Add water and bring to a boil. Add bell peppers and broccoli. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 5 to 7 minutes, or until vegetables are tender-crisp. Don’t let them get too soft. Remove from heat.
- Cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain it in a colander. While it is draining, add coconut milk to the vegetables in skillet and return to very low heat. (The heat is kept low to keep coconut milk from boiling and curdling.) As soon as coconut milk is mixed in and the sauce is heated through, add tortellini, and stir gently to coat with the sauce. Garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately; if allowed to stand, tortellini will soak up some of the sauce, reducing its volume, although the dish will still taste good.
Recipe adapted from Bharti Kirchner’s The Bold Vegetarian (HarperPerennial, 1995).
blog comments powered by
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 285
- Cholesterol .12mg
- Sodium 271mg
- Carbohydrate 24g
- Protein 9g