Thai Style Lettuce Wraps
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 10 minutes
- Cook 15 minutes
Salty peanuts and sweet raisins add panache to this Asian lettuce wrap.
This is a wonderful recipe. Low in calories, beautiful colors and great flavors. The combination of the chicken cooked with the onions and red pepper, and the addition of the chili sauce, saltiness of the peanuts and sweetness of the raisins brings out a wonderful melange of flavors. Add the cilantro, carrot and cucumber and you have added crunch plus a burst of color. A perfect meal!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup California golden raisins
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts
- 1/4 cup sweet red Thai chili sauce
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 16 medium Bibb lettuce leaves
- 1/3 cup carrot, grated
- 1/3 cup cucumber, thinly sliced
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil. When hot, add ground chicken, season with salt and pepper. Brown chicken and break into small pieces. Add chopped onion, red bell pepper and garlic; saute until soft, approximately 3 minutes. Add raisins and peanuts. Add the Thai chili sauce and lime juice; gently stir in raisins and peanuts. Heat through, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in chopped cilantro.
- To serve: Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of chicken mixture onto lettuce leaf. Top with grated carrot and cucumber.