Thai Ribbon Noodle Salad with Lime and Cilantro
- Yield 4 servings
Rice noodles, ginger root and bean sprouts join with lime juice, cilantro and basil for a knock-out, low-calorie vegetarian meal.
- 1 -- (7-ounce) package dry rice noodles, wide style
- -- Warm water
- 1 tablespoon canola or peanut oil
- 2 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger root
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 8 -- scallions, sliced on the diagonal 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili paste with garlic, optional for a spicy version
- 2 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- In a large bowl, cover rice noodles with warm water and soak 20 minutes until softened. Drain noodles and place in a dry bowl.
- Heat oil in a nonreactive small saute pan, skillet or wok over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger and sugar. Heat 1 minute until garlic just begins to brown. Add lime juice and toss mixture with softened noodles. Toss in bean sprouts, scallions, cilantro, basil leaves and tamari. Add chili paste, if using. Mix well, sprinkle with peanuts, if desired, and serve immediately.