Thai Peanut Sauce
- Yield: 1 1/2 cups
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 5 mins
Try this creamy peanut sauce with grilled chicken or pork, as a dip for cucumber slices, or tossed with a tangle of noodles. Add as much or as little crushed red pepper as you like.
- 4teaspoons peanut oil
- 2/3cup minced shallot
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 3/4cup water
- 1tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan. Add shallot, garlic and crushed red pepper; cook over low heat until fragrant and just beginning to color, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk in peanut butter, hoisin, brown sugar and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 minute. Stir in lime juice.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
—Recipe by Laraine Perri