Thai Lettuce Wraps with Satay Pork Strips
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 11 mins
- 4 -- boneless top loin pork chops, about 1-inch thick
- -- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large heads butter lettuce, leaves separated
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch matchsticks
- 1 -- English cucumber, cut into 2-inch matchsticks
- 2 ounces bean thread (Asian cellophane noodles), soaked for 15 minutes in hot water, and then drained
- 16 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup prepared Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 cup prepared Thai peanut sauce
Place chops in large self-sealing plastic bag; combine marinade ingredients in small bowl and pour over chops. Seal bag and refrigerate 1 to 4 hours. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes prior to grilling. Prepare medium-hot fire in charcoal grill or preheat gas grill to medium high. Arrange coals or burners so there is medium-low zone for finishing chops.
When ready to grill, remove chops from marinade (discarding marinade). Spray grill grate with vegetable oil spray. Grill pork directly over medium-high fire until seared, 3 minutes per side. Slide chops to cooler part of grill, cover, and continue to grill until pork registers 160F. when checked with an instant-read thermometer, about 5 minutes longer. Transfer to cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
While pork is marinating, arrange stack of large lettuce leaves attractively on large serving platter. Place carrots, cucumber, bean thread, and cilantro leaves in small dishes and arrange on serving platter.
In small serving bowl or ramekin, mix together corn syrup, minced cilantro, lime juice, and salt. Place sweet chili sauce and peanut sauce in small serving bowls or ramekins.
Cut pork into thin slices. Lay 3 medium-sized leaves of lettuce on serving platter and arrange pork on lettuce.
To assemble, let each guest place a lettuce leaf on an appetizer plate. Arrange 2 slices of pork on top of the lettuce. Mound a bit of carrot, cucumber, and bean thread over top. Add a couple cilantro leaves and drizzle one of the sauces over top. Fold over the lettuce to form a roll and enjoy!