Thai Coconut Soup
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3cups vegetable stock
- 1 (14-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk (light or regular)
- 2teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2teaspoons grated lime zest, plus extra for garnish
- 2teaspoons dried lemongrass or lemon juice
- 1/2 to 2teaspoon Thai red curry paste, to taste
- 12 to 14ounces extra-firm tofu, cut into small cubes (not silken tofu)
- 1 (15-ounce) can straw mushrooms, drained and rinsed
- 2teaspoons granulated sugar or other sweetener
- 2tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into matchstick-size strips
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- Cilantro leaves, chopped, for garnish
- In a large soup pot, combine the vegetable stock, coconut milk, ginger, 2 teaspoons lime zest, and lemongrass, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the curry paste 1/2 teaspoon at a time, stirring well to combine and tasting as you go to make sure you don’t make it too spicy. Stir in the tofu, mushrooms, sugar, and tamari, to taste. Simmer for about 10 minutes longer.
- Add the red pepper and lime juice, cook for 5 minutes longer to soften the pepper somewhat, season to taste, and remove from the heat. Ladle into 4 bowls, sprinkle with the remaining lime zest and the cilantro leaves, and serve with the lime wedges on the side.
From Color Me Vegan/By Colleen Patrick-Goudreau – Fair Winds Press