Stuffed Chicken Legs with Mango Sauce
- Yield servings
- INGREDIENTS FOR CHICKEN:
- 8 -- chicken legs
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons Tequila or dry sherry
- 1 -- 4 links package Habanero & Green Chile Smoked Chicken Turkey Sausage (eg Aidell's or Emeril's)
- -- or 16 ounce hot fresh chicken chili sausages (eg Central market)
- 1 -- egg
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cilantro
- MANGO SAUCE:
- 3 cups peeled, cut up ripe mangoes, pureed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- -- drippings from pan
- RICE AND BEANS:
- 1 cup regular rice
- 1 3/4 cups concentrated chicken broth from can
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup diced red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed well and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- -- green curly lettuce leaves for lining plate
Using a sharp, small knife, cut loose the tendons and meat from large end of each leg. Push meat up until the other end and cut bone off with kitchen scissors. Discard bone. Invert meat back again so skin is on outside. Repeat with all legs and place in a bowl. Mix in all other ingredients. Let stand while preparing filling.
To make filling, peel off casing from smoked sausages, cut small. Place in food processor with all other ingredients. Process, using pulse button. If you use fresh sausage, filling can be mixed by hand.
Preheat oven to 450 F. Fill each leg with about 1/4 cup of filling. Place on a sprayed wire rack and spray chicken with nonstick spray. Set rack over a 14 x 9 inch baking pan. Fill pan with hot water to catch drippings so oven will not smoke. Bake about 20 minutes, then turn. Spray again with nonstick spray. Bake another 10 minutes or until thermometer inserted registers 160 F. Move rack up in oven and broil both sides until nicely browned.
Line a serving platter with lettuce. Place rice and chicken on it. Drizzle some sauce over chicken and serve remaining sauce in a bowl. Serve piping hot with rice and mango sauce.
To make rice and beans:
In a 2 1/2 qt saucepan combine rice with broth, turmeric and salt. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer and cook , covered, 20 minutes. Top with bell peppers and continue another 5 minutes or until rice is done. Stir in beans and cilantro. Adjust salt to taste.
To make mango sauce:
In a small saucepan place all ingredients for mango sauce, then add any drippings from chicken that collected in baking pan. Simmer until thick. Adjust seasonings to taste. .
Yields: 4 servings ( 2 legs per serving)