Texas Gold Bars
- Yield 3 dozen
The cake mix "crust" in this recipe is topped with a smooth and creamy filling then finished off with coconut and pecans for extra flavor and texture.
- 1 -- (18 1/2-ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 3 -- eggs
- 1 stick oleo, melted
- 1 -- (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
- 1 -- (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 1/2 to 1 cup pecans
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded coconut
- Combine cake mix, one egg, and melted oleo. Pat mixture in a jelly roll pan.
- Combine sugar, two eggs, and cream cheese; spread over crust. Sprinkle with nuts and shredded coconut over top.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes at 325F. When cool, cut into bar size. This recipe can be baked ahead and frozen.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Enid’s Stir Ups (Enid, Oklahoma, 1982).