Texas Christmas Cake
- Yield: 16 servings
- 1pound golden raisins
- 1cup whiskey
- 2cups (4 sticks) butter, softened
- 2cups sugar
- 6-- egg yolks
- 4cups cake flour
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 1pound pecans, chopped
- 6-- egg whites
- -- Whiskey
- Soak the raisins in 1 cup whiskey in a bowl.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the raisin mixture. Mix the flour, baking powder and pecans in a bowl. Fold into the butter mixture.
- Beat the egg whites in a mixing bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold into the batter until no white streaks remain. Pour into a well-greased tube pan.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 2 1/2 hours or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cook in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dampen a piece of cheesecloth with additional whisky and wrap around the cake. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 1 day before slicing.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Mississippi University for Women Alumnae Association, Southern Grace, Recipes and Remembrances from The W, (Mississippi University for Women Alumnae Association, 2004)