Tex-Mex Stuffed Peppers
- Yield: 4 servings
- 12ounces lean ground pork, 96% lean
- 1/2cup water
- 6tablespoons couscous
- 4large bell peppers, red, orange or yellow
- 3/4cup salsa, plus more for serving (optional)
- 1cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2teaspoons chili powder
- -- Salt and black pepper
- 1/4cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- -- Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 500F. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring water to a boil. Stir in couscous, cover, remove from heat, and set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook pork, stirring occasionally and breaking it up, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- Also while couscous is softening, remove tops from peppers and scrape out seeds. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine couscous, pork, salsa, corn, and chili powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Fill peppers with pork mixture. Arrange peppers in a shallow baking pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and continue baking until peppers are tender and stuffing is heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Serve peppers with additional salsa on the side if you like.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 280
- Fat 6g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 55mg
- Sodium 470mg
- Carbohydrate 55g
- Fiber 5g
- Protein 26g