Tex-Mex Shepherd’s Pie
- Yield: 4 to 5 servings
- 1/2pound lean ground beef
- 1/2pound ground turkey breast
- 1cup chopped onion
- 3 to 4teaspoons chili powder
- 2teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2teaspoon oregano
- 1teaspoon garlic salt, divided
- 1/2cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1/2 of a 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 (2.2-ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1pound russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2tablespoons 1% milk
- 1/2cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Brown beef and turkey in a medium skillet; drain excess grease.
- Add onion, chili powder, cumin, oregano and 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Stir in corn, tomatoes, chiles and olives. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, then turn into a lightly greased 1-quart baking dish.
- Meanwhile, boil potatoes in lightly salted water for 10 minutes or until tender; drain and stir in remaining garlic salt and milk. Spread over meat mixture.
- Bake at 400F for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are lightly browned. Top with cheese and bake for 5 minutes more.
Recipe courtesy of the United States Potato Board
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 383
- Fat 14g
- Cholesterol 81mg
- Sodium 883mg
- Potassium 1516mg
- Carbohydrate 41g
- Fiber 8g
- Protein 32g