Tex-Mex Chicken Fingers
- Yield servings
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 3)
- 1 -- egg beaten, or 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 -- 6 ounce package Mexican, Jalapeno, or Tex Mex cornbread mix
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- -- fresh chopped cilantro or parsley, if desired
- 1 cup prepared chunky salsa
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
In large bowl, combine preserves, salsa, marmalade, and lime juice. Stir until well blended. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
Cut chicken breasts diagonally(against grain) into 1 inch wide strips. In large bowl, combine chicken and egg, stir to coat. In large zip-top bag, combine cornbread mix, flour and cumin. Close bag and shake to blend.
Add chicken pieces to bag, about 5-7 strips at a time, close, and shake to coat. Continue until all pieces are coated.
In a 12 in. skillet or frying pan, heat oil on medium heat. Pan-fry chicken in two batches 4-6 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
Drain on paper towels.Transfer to serving dish, sprinkle with cilantro or parsley if desired. Serve hot with pineapple salsa.
Note: The salsa may be made up to two weeks in advance.