Teriyaki Pot Roast
- Yield 8 servings
This home-style pot roast is flavored with a soy sauce, ginger and a bit of brown sugar.
"I have had this recipe for many years, and it's always a hit when I serve it to friends and family."
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (3-pound) rump or eye-of-round roast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Season roast with salt and pepper. Place roast and onion in Dutch oven and brown roast on all sides, stirring onion occasionally.
- Combine brown sugar, cornstarch, bouillon, ginger, soy sauce and water in a small bowl. Whisk until cornstarch dissolves. Add water chestnuts and pour over roast. Bake, covered, 1 hour.
- Add carrots and cook 45 minutes, or until tender. Remove roast from oven and let stand 10 minutes. Remove to a cutting board and slice. Arrange on a serving platter with carrots surrounding roast. Serve gravy alongside roast.
Recipe by Donna Roberts, Shumway, Ill.