Tequila Bean Salad
- Yield 8 servings
Try a variety of beans with this salad. Why not black beans or chick peas?
Cilantro will last longer if you trim the stem ends and wrap it in a damp paper towel. Place it in an unsealed plastic bag and chill.
- Salad dressing:
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1 tablespoon (heaping) chopped grlic
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon (heaping) chopped jalapeno chile
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (15 ounce) Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounce red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounce) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 -- tomatoes
For the salad dressing:
- Combine the vinegar, honey, olive oil, tequila, garlic, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well.
For the salad:
- Combine the cilantro, onion, bell pepper, jalapeno chile, celery, Great Northern beans, pinto beans and kidney beans in a sealable plastic bag.
- Add the salad dressing and chill for 1 hour or longer, turning the bag occasionally.
- Cut a hole inthe top of each tomato and remove the tomato pulp, leaving a shell and reserving the pulp for another use.
- Spoon equal portions of the salad into each tomato shell. Place each stuffed tomato on an individual salad plate.
- Garnish with avocado slices, scallions, jalapeno chiles and lime wedges.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Lubbock., A Pefect Setting, (The Junior Leage of Lubbock, 2005)