Tequila Bean Salad
- Yield: 8 servings
Cilantro will last longer if you trim the stem ends and wrap it in a damp paper towel. Place it in an unsealed plastic bag and chill.
- Salad dressing:
- 1/4cup red wine vinegar
- 2tablespoons honey
- 2tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 2ounces tequila
- 1tablespoon (heaping) chopped grlic
- 1/4cup lime juice
- 1tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1tablespoon (heaping) chopped jalapeno chile
- 1/3cup chopped celery
- 1can (15 ounce) Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1can (15 ounce red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1can (15 ounce) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 8-- tomatoes
For the salad dressing:
- Combine the vinegar, honey, olive oil, tequila, garlic, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well.
For the salad:
- Combine the cilantro, onion, bell pepper, jalapeno chile, celery, Great Northern beans, pinto beans and kidney beans in a sealable plastic bag.
- Add the salad dressing and chill for 1 hour or longer, turning the bag occasionally.
- Cut a hole inthe top of each tomato and remove the tomato pulp, leaving a shell and reserving the pulp for another use.
- Spoon equal portions of the salad into each tomato shell. Place each stuffed tomato on an individual salad plate.
- Garnish with avocado slices, scallions, jalapeno chiles and lime wedges.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Lubbock., A Pefect Setting, (The Junior Leage of Lubbock, 2005)